You don’t have to look far to find the best senior discounts, but you may have to reach a certain age first. Not all businesses define “seniors” the same way.
AARP members and members of the Association of Mature American Citizens know that those legendary benefits kick in at the ripe age of 50. If you prefer not to pay their annual dues, just wait five years and enjoy these discount savings at retailers, restaurants, hotels and more.
To make it easy, we’ve done the research for you. Here are the top online and retail discounts that become available as soon as you hit age 55.
A variety of retailers – from grocery stores to auto repair shops – start their “senior” offers at age 55. These include:
- Hy-Vee: The Midwestern grocery chain offers a 5% senior discount on purchases made on Wednesdays. You may need to register for and present a Hy-Vee Senior Citizen Discount Club Card, available in-store, free of charge. Contact your store for details.
- Fred Meyer: Many people living in the Western U.S. know about Fred Meyer superstores. If you’re at least 55, you get a 10% discount on their private-label brands. Shop the Fred Meyer, Kroger and Simple Truth brands and other private brands to save.
- Michael’s: Save even more on your DIY projects when you bring a valid ID to a Michael’s brick-and-mortar store. After verifying your age, you’ll receive 10% off your entire purchase. The best part is, this offer includes sale items and it is valid every day of the week.
- Pep Boys: Whether you need an oil change or whole new set of tires, be sure to take a valid ID with you to Pep Boys auto parts stores. They offer 10% off to any customer 55 or older. This discount is only available in-store.
- Ross: Through Ross’ “55+ Tuesday Discount,” the chain offers 10% off to all customers who have hit that threshold. You may have to show proof of your age at the register, so don’t forget your ID. For details, see Ross’ “contact us” page and click the FAQ, “What is the 55+ Tuesday Discount?”
- Walgreens: If you are 55 or older, or if you are an AARP member, join Walgreens’ Balance Rewards program — no charge — to be eligible for “Seniors Day” discounts. On select dates, program members who are 55 years and older can save 20% on selected, regular-priced items at Walgreens locations.
For more options, check out “10 Retailers That Give Discounts to Older Shoppers.”
If you’ve been bitten by the travel bug, these companies’ discounts let you explore more by spending less on lodging and transportation:
- Best Western: Save up to 15% on your room rate at over 4,200 hotels worldwide. Ask for the senior discount when you reserve your room. The chain notes that discounted rooms are “subject to availability at the time of request.” Also, not all hotels participate, and you will be asked to provide proof of age when you check in.
- Carnival: When planning your Carnival cruise, filter your search options to see exclusive senior fares. First, click on the “VIFP Offers & Extra Savings” drop-down filter; next, select the “Age 55+” box on the right-hand side. In the top right corner of the page, you can toggle to a calendar view to more clearly see the offers from month-to-month.
- Royal Caribbean: The international cruise line offers special pricing for guests 55 and older. Note, these discounted rates are only available on select sailings. Contact Royal Caribbean for more details.
The discounted rates you get with these wireless/mobile carriers’ plans will make you want to call a friend and spread the news about how much you’re saving:
- Sprint: They don’t call it the “Unlimited 55+” for no reason. Sprint customers 55 years and older who switch to this plan get two lines of unlimited talk, text and data at a discounted monthly rate. Visit a store to get started.
- T-Mobile: This wireless carrier offers more than one unlimited plan for customers 55 and older. Contact T-Mobile or walk into a store to find the right option for you.
- Verizon: The Verizon 55+ Unlimited Plan is available at a discounted rate and includes unlimited talk, text and data. However, at this time, the plan is only available for customers with a Florida billing address.
Have you taken advantage of these or other 55-plus seniors discounts? Tell us about your experience in the comments below or share on our Facebook page.
How to find cheaper car insurance in minutes
Getting a better deal on car insurance doesn't have to be hard. You can have The Zebra, an insurance comparison site compare quotes in just a few minutes and find you the best rates. Consumers save an average of $368 per year, according to the site, so if you're ready to secure your new rate, get started now.