Andy Dean Photography / Shutterstock.com
Whether you’re planning a move and considering the best areas for raising children or you’re curious about how your own sense of well-being stacks up against other Americans’, the Gallup-Healthways State of American Well-Being series is a good place to start. The latest report ranked 186 U.S. communities by the Well-Being Index score of their residents.
The rankings are based on scores for five factors, considered by this study to be the elements of well-being:
- Purpose: Liking what you do each day and being motivated to achieve your goals.
- Social: Having supportive relationships and love in your life.
- Financial: Managing your economic life to reduce stress and increase security.
- Community: Liking where you live, feeling safe and having pride in your community.
- Physical: Having good health and enough energy to get things done daily.
The idea is to provide data that can help individuals and community leaders make meaningful and positive changes to attract new residents and to encourage existing residents to make choices resulting in the best quality of life. Here are the 50 happiest U.S. communities, ranked from lowest to highest Well-Being Index scores.