Target’s best sale of the year wasn’t on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
This year it falls on Dec. 5 and Dec. 6 — this weekend — when Target gift cards are 10% off in stores and online.
That might not sound like much of a deal at first, but hear me out.
If you stock up on Target gift cards today and then use them when you shop at the beloved retailer throughout the year, you will effectively save 10% on everything you buy at Target through the holidays and into the new year.
And if you use your 10%-off cards to buy something that’s already on sale — say, 25% off — you will get it even cheaper than the sale price. You’ll effectively pay three-fourths of the retail price — minus an additional 10%.
Of course, you can also give your discounted Target gift cards as presents. In fact, WalletHub has ranked them among the best gift cards to give for the holidays. Plus, the recipient won’t know you bought the card on sale unless you divulge that.
Changes for 2020
If you’ve taken advantage of Target’s gift card sale in the past, you might notice a few changes this year. They include the following:
- The sale will last two days instead of one.
- You now need a Target Circle account to take advantage of the discount. (Target Circle is the retailer’s loyalty program, which you can join for free.)
- You can buy up to $500 worth of gift cards for 10% off. That’s up from a limit of $300 last year.
- The $500 limit is per Target Circle account, not per household.
The fine print
Here is everything else you need to know to take advantage of Target’s best sale of the year:
- The 10% discount is available for one-time use. So if you want to buy multiple gift cards and get them all for 10% off, you must buy them all at the same time, in a single transaction.
- If you buy gift cards online, you can opt to have them delivered by email, mail or mobile device.
- Gift cards cannot be returned.
The fine print also says, “Quantities limited; no rainchecks.” So don’t wait until Sunday night to take advantage of this sale.
For more ways to save on Target cards, check out “5 Ways to Get Target Gift Cards for Free.”
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.