Photo (cc) by baynado1978
What do security officers, baristas and research scientists have in common?
Employees with these job titles received some of the biggest percentage increases in total pay over the past year, according to Glassdoor.
The jobs website identified 20 positions with total-pay increases of 3 percent to 10 percent from last year to this year, all above the national average.
Business systems analysts came in No. 1 with by far the biggest increase — 10 percent. The position’s total pay jumped from $75,554 last year to $83,300 this year.
Software engineers came in at No. 20 with a 3 percent increase. Of all the jobs on Glassdoor’s list, however, this position’s total pay for 2015 was the highest — $105,000.
Glassdoor defines total pay as all forms of pay reported in 2015 salary reports shared by U.S.-based employees on Glassdoor’s website. This includes base pay, tips, commissions and bonuses, for example.
The 10 jobs that saw the biggest increases in total pay over the past year are:
- Business systems analyst (whose 2015 total pay is $83,300, a 10 percent increase from 2014)
- Security officer ($24,000, 7 percent increase)
- Sales consultant ($49,008, 7 percent increase)
- Pharmacy technician ($26,000, 6 percent increase)
- Barista ($23,600, 6 percent increase)
- Customer service manager ($34,780, 5 percent increase)
- Certified nursing assistant ($25,000, 5 percent increase)
- Financial analyst ($71,550, 5 percent increase)
- Systems analyst ($80,000, 4 percent increase)
- Research scientist ($85,000, 4 percent increase)
By comparison, the national average increase for hourly earnings over the past year was only 2.2 percent, according to the latest data from the U.S. Department of Labor‘s Bureau of Labor Statistics.
If you’re still waiting to see a raise, check out “Want a Raise? 6 Steps for Starting the Conversation,” and “Your College Major Influences Whether You Ask for a Raise (No Matter Where You Work).”
Are you surprised by any positions that made Glassdoor’s list? Sound off in our Forums. It’s the place where you can speak your mind, explore topics in-depth, and post questions and get answers.