Photo (cc) by newagecrap
Silicon Valley has lost its title as the location of the most expensive homes in the country.
The tech-savvy California region was home to the ZIP code with the country’s most expensive homes for the past two years, according to the real estate website PropertyShark.
But Sagaponack, New York, takes that honor this year.
The village that is part of the Hamptons region is home to the ZIP code 11962, where the median home sales price is $5.125 million.
Atherton, California, which is home to the 94027 ZIP code and located in Silicon Valley, came in second this year.
Coastal ZIP codes in New York and California dominate PropertyShark’s rankings. The real estate listings website compiled its ranking of the ZIP codes with the most expensive homes based on closed sales that took place between January 2014 and June 2015, and Business Insider published the top 20.
The top 10 ZIP codes — and their median home sale prices — are:
- Sagaponack, New York (11962) – $5,125,000
- Atherton, California (94027) – $5,050,000
- Beverly Hills, California (90210) – $3,221,250
- Santa Monica, California (90402) – $3,062,250
- Palo Alto, California (94301) – $2,827,500
- New York City (10013) – $2,800,000
- New York City (10007) – $2,763,711
- Newport Beach, California (92662) – $2,675,000
- Miami Beach, Florida (33109) – $2,650,000
- Los Altos, California (94022) – $2,600,000
Like several other ZIP codes on the list, Sagaponack is home to the rich and famous.
According to the real estate news website The Real Deal, owners in that ZIP code include former New York Stock Exchange Chairman Richard Grasso, who listed his 7,000-square-foot home in Sagaponack for $45 million this spring.
Also in Sagaponack, investor Ira Rennert owns a 62,000-square-foot mansion that’s currently worth $248 million.
Are you surprised by any of the country’s most expensive ZIP codes? Let us know what you think in a comment below or on our Facebook page.