The best-paying jobs in 2016 reflect a mix of the traditional and the technological.
As might be expected, the position of medical doctor ranks No. 1, with a median base salary of $180,000, according to recent data from job-review website Glassdoor.
Lawyer is No. 2, with a salary of $144,500. Pharmacy manager and pharmacist are both among the top 25.
A variety of top-paying positions are in the information technology field. They include software development manager (with a median base salary of $132,000) and information systems manager (with a salary of $106,000).
Glassdoor chief economist Andrew Chamberlain explains that tech jobs and health care jobs are among the best-paying because higher pay is tied to in-demand skills and higher levels of education.
Of course, high-paying jobs aren’t necessarily tied to high job satisfaction.
Chamberlain explains, referencing Glassdoor research published last year:
“Our research shows that a big paycheck isn’t necessarily tied to long-term satisfaction in your job. Instead, when we dig deeper into what keeps employees satisfied once they’re in a job and with a company, we find that culture and values, career opportunities, and trust in senior leadership are the biggest drivers of employee satisfaction.”
The top-paying positions on Glassdoor’s latest list are:
- Physician: median base salary of $180,000
- Lawyer: $144,500
- Research and development manager: $142,120
- Software development manager: $132,000
- Pharmacy manager: $130,000
- Strategy manager: $130,000
- Software architect: $128,250
- Integrated circuit designer engineer: $127,500
- IT manager: $120,000
- Solutions architect: $120,000
- Engagement manager: $120,000
- Applications development manager: $120,000
- Pharmacist: $118,000
- Systems architect: $116,920
- Finance manager: $115,000
- Data scientist: $115,000
- Risk manager: $115,000
- Creative director: $115,000
- Actuary: $115,000
- Data architect: $113,000
- Tax manager: $110,000
- Product manager: $107,000
- Design manager: $106,500
- Analytics manager: $106,000
- Information systems manager: $106,000
This ranking is based on salary reports shared on Glassdoor by U.S.-based employees over the past year.
Based on the number of active job openings on Glassdoor as of late February, the most in-demand of the 25 highest-paying jobs are:
- Product manager: 7,758 job openings
- Pharmacist: 4,502
- Software development manager: 3,495
- IT manager: 3,152
- Solutions architect: 2,838
What’s your take on the types of positions that comprise the nation’s best-paying jobs this year? Share your thoughts in a comment below or on our Facebook page.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.