Photo (cc) by Digiart2001 | jason.kuffer
Manhattan’s Central Park area is the most expensive place in America to spend the night in a high-end hotel.
At Mandarin Oriental and The Ritz-Carlton Central Park, the cheapest available rate for a double room this month was $995, according to a survey by Luxury-Hotels.com. That makes these two Midtown Manhattan hotels the most expensive city hotels in the country.
Luxury-Hotels.com’s survey, conducted last month, ranked the 20 most expensive hotels in large U.S. cities based on the cheapest available double-room rate during a two- or three-night stay.
Midtown Manhattan’s Baccarat Hotel & Residences came in a close third with a rate of $990.
Most of the hotels that made the list are in New York City. In fact, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Boston are the only other cities with hotels on the list.
Growing competition could affect hotel rates in the Big Apple, though. Daniel Berger, head of surveys at Luxury-Hotels.com, tells CNN Money:
“More and more luxury hotels are being built in Manhattan … and there are more luxury Airbnb flats and that puts pressure on the luxury market.”
The top 10 names on Luxury-Hotels.com’s list are:
- Mandarin Oriental (New York City) — $995
- The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park (New York City) — $995
- Baccarat Hotel & Residences (New York City) — $990
- The St. Regis (New York City) –$945
- The Plaza Hotel (New York City) — $893
- The Peninsula (New York City) — $845
- Park Hyatt (New York City) — $834
- Montage Beverly Hills (Los Angeles) — $800
- SKYLOFTS at MGM Grand (Las Vegas) — $789
- The Lowell (New York City) — $785
The least-expensive hotels on the Luxury-Hotels.com list are Boston’s Mandarin Oriental and The Greenwich Hotel in New York City, which tied for No. 19 with a rate of $675.
If that’s still outside your budget, check out:
- “10 Ways to Save Up to 60 Percent on a Hotel Stay“
- “12 Ways to Avoid Obnoxious (and Growing) Hotel Fees“
- “How Airbnb Could Help You Save on Hotel Rooms“
What’s your favorite hotel? Share your thoughts in our Forums. It’s a place where you can swap questions and answers on money-related matters, life hacks and ingenious ways to save.