A stable retirement is about more than a good-sized nest egg.
It’s also about good health — one of the biggest factors for baby boomers preparing for retirement, according to the Bankers Life Center for a Secure Retirement:
Good physical health means retirees can lead more active lives and reduce their medical expenses. But health is more than notes on a doctor’s chart. Economic health, emotional and mental health, and social health all have roles to play in a truly healthy retirement.
So the Center for a Secure Retirement, which is Bankers Life’s research and consumer education program, analyzed the 60 largest metropolitan areas in the country to determine which offer retirees the best combination of healthy and affordable living.
The analysis, conducted by research firm Sperling’s Best Places, was based on how cities were rated in eight weighted categories:
- Healthcare (weighted more heavily)
- Economy and affordability (weighted more heavily)
- Transportation (weighted less heavily)
- Crime (weighted less heavily)
Washington’s largest city came out on top:
While it’s one of the more expensive cities on our list, Seattle boasts natural beauty, a moderate climate and a wealth of outdoor and cultural activities — from the nearby Olympic National Park to the recently expanded Seattle Art Museum — all of which make it the ideal locale for active retirees.
Rounding out the top 10 are:
- Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota
- Portland, Oregon
- Hartford, Connecticut
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Salt Lake City
For the rankings of all 60 cities analyzed, see the full report.
Are you surprised by the cities that ranked as healthiest? Let us know what you think below or on Facebook.
Now that you've learned about critical components for a successful retirement, it's time to take the next step. To have the retirement you've dreamed about and the one you deserve, you need a plan that will show you:
- How to discover fulfillment and live the retirement life you really want
- Whether to downsize and where to live during your retirement years
- A simple, proven system to destroy every debt you have
- How to invest to reach your retirement goals and never outlive your savings
- How to score up to $12,000 more in Social Security every year
- Why you don't need a financial planner and how to be your own
- How to stay in top shape and manage medical costs
The Only Retirement Guide You'll Ever Need is the plan that gives you the knowledge you need to approach retirement confidently -- with the peace of mind we're all after. Learn at your own pace, anytime you'd like, from the comfort of your home. Get expert, personalized advice and access to a special online community where you can connect with others and get your questions answered.
It's time to plan the best years of your life. Let's get started!