This year’s best states in which to retire share two key characteristics: they are known for their great outdoors, and are located in the West.
Bankrate’s annual list of the best places to spend your golden years, which was released today, is based on cost of living, crime rate, health care quality, weather and well-being.
Bankrate’s top 10 states are:
1. Wyoming‘s strengths are low taxes, good weather and a low crime rate.
2. Colorado‘s strengths are good weather and personal well-being.
3. Utah‘s strengths are good health care and weather.
4. Idaho‘s strengths are a low crime rate and good weather.
5. Virginia‘s strengths are a low crime rate and good health care system.
6. Iowa‘s strengths are personal well-being and its health care system.
7. Montana‘s strengths are personal well-being and low taxes.
8. South Dakota‘s strengths are low taxes and a low crime rate.
9. Arizona‘s strengths are great weather and personal well-being.
10. Nebraska‘s strengths are a low cost of living and strong health care system.
Ten cities in the top states also made Forbes’ recently released list of the 25 best places in which to retire this year.
Forbes’ rankings are based on data in nearly 500 cities from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The most important factors in this list are economic, including cost of living, home prices and sales tax.
Cities that made Forbes’ list and that are also located in states highlighted by Bankrate include:
- Caspar, Wyoming
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Logan, Utah
- Boise, Idaho
- Blacksburg, Virginia
- Great Falls, Montana
- Mesa, Arizona
- Tucson, Arizona
- Lincoln, Nebraska
The other cities and towns that made Forbes’ list are:
- Abilene, Texas
- Asheville, North Carolina
- Athens, Georgia
- Bowling Green, Kentucky
- Cape Coral, Florida
- Columbia, Missouri
- Fargo, North Dakota
- Huntsville, Alabama
- Lexington, Kentucky
- Oak Grove, Oregon
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Port Charlotte, Florida
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Rochester, Minnesota
- San Angelo, Texas
- San Marcos, Texas
Add a Comment
Our Policy: We welcome relevant and respectful comments in order to foster healthy and informative discussions. All other comments may be removed. Comments with links are automatically held for moderation.