With the 2014 tax season ending Wednesday, April 15, we’ve itemized some top tax day freebies and other money-saving deals to help you get relief, whether you owed the government or scored a refund.
Tax day freebies
- Great American Cookies sweetens your day with a free regular sugar cookie for customers who stop by April 15. No purchase or proof of completed taxes is necessary.
- HydroMassage offers free massages through April 17 at participating locations. See its map or listing and call to make an appointment (or at Planet Fitness, just print and bring the coupon.)
- Hard Rock Cafe customers who “Sing for Your Supper” will get free “Local Legendary Burgers” April 15. Rocker Bret Michaels will encourage fans to overcome stage fright at the Hard Rock in Hollywood. You may also upload to Instagram or Twitter a video of yourself singing a cover song and tag it #SingforYourSupper to be considered to receive a free burger.
- Kona Ice operators will park trucks at post offices, tax preparation centers and businesses around the country to hand out free cups of tropical shaved ice and complimentary Hawaiian leis for “National Chill Out Day.” Times and locations vary.
- Office Depot and Staples will shred up to 5 pounds of paper free when you bring in a coupon. The Staples deal expires May 2; Office Depot, April 29.
Tax day special promotions
- Schlotzsky’s restaurants will give away one free small Original sandwich with the purchase of a 32 oz. drink and a bag of chips on April 15.
- Bruegger’s Bagels will give you about “a $3.50 deduction” April 11-15 on its Big Bagel Bundles if you signed up for its email club by April 9. If you missed that, Bruegger’s has other offers.
- Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt’s Facebook fans can fill their cups with fro-yo (up to 16 ounces) and toppings April 15 for $4.15 after claiming the offer that is to be posted April 14.
- White Castle will slide a coupon to you from its website for 15 percent off your order April 13-15.
- Boston Market offers buy-one-get-one-free meal deals April 15. Limit three BOGOs per person, per visit. No coupon required.
- California Tortilla gives free chips and Queso (or salsa for the cheese intolerant) to anyone who makes a purchase and says the secret password “Taxes Shmaxes” April 15.
- Sonny’s BBQ cooked up “IRS: Irresistible Rib Special,” half-price dinners April 15.
- Bonefish Grill scales back 10 percent of your bill through April 20 when you print a coupon or show it on your phone.
This bites! Several previously popular freebies won’t be around this year.
“We won’t be having any tax day specials this year,” Cinnabon said on its Facebook page in response to a question. In previous years, the aromatic baker gave away two free Cinnabon bites to customers for two hours on tax day. Arby’s won’t hand out free curly fries, the company tweeted. AMC Theatres does not plan to revive its offer of free small popcorn.
But there’s more…
If you want to get away from it all, Personal Luxury Resorts & Hotels and Benchmark Resorts & Hotels offer a variety of deals. Among them, the Tap-In Carvery and restaurant near their Hotel Arista in Naperville, Illinois, features a day of Saving Green on April 15 with half-price rounds on its indoor golf simulators and double the tax off on any food purchase. The Spa at Willows Lodge in the Woodinville Wine Country just east of Seattle will help to relieve stress with $18.62 off a relaxing massage, Monday through Thursday during April, a nod to the first U.S. income tax in 1862.
If you want to stick close to home, local appeals abound, from $4.15 specials for Lottie’s Pub burgers (normally $10) and select pints of beer in Chicago, to a $10.40 “Tax Relief Dinner” at the Tampa Bay Club in Florida, or all day happy hour prices at Ra Sushi in San Diego.
How do you plan to celebrate tax day? Share with us in comments below or on our Facebook page.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.