Which is the better investment: stocks or real estate?
Due to the unique nature of real estate, an apples-to-apples comparison is tough to make. But speaking from some 40 years of personal experience, I’d say both are important components of a well-balanced investment mix. I’ve made great long-term money with both.
Major difference: Stocks are easy to buy, sell and track. Real estate, on the other hand, has traditionally been anything but.
When you hear someone talking about investing in real estate, you probably imagine a hapless landlord cleaning, painting, mowing and praying that their tenant can come up with the rent next month.
While that’s not inaccurate — I lived that version of the real estate investor in my younger days — these days there are ways to invest in land and buildings that don’t involve schlepping lawn mowers and paint cans. There are now real estate opportunities that don’t require a boatload of cash, sweat equity or even much supervision.
That’s what this week’s “Money!” podcast is about. We’re going to talk about all the different ways to invest in real estate, both traditional and cutting-edge.
Sit back, relax and listen to this week’s “Money!” podcast:
Not familiar with podcasts?
A podcast is basically a radio show you can listen to anytime, either by downloading it to your smartphone or other device, or by listening online.
They’re totally free. They can be any length (ours are typically about a half-hour), feature any number of people and cover any topic you can possibly think of. You can listen at home, in the car, while jogging or, if you’re like me, when riding your bicycle.
If you haven’t listened to a podcast yet, give it a try, then subscribe to ours. You’ll be glad you did!
Want more information? Check out these resources:
- Why Homebuyers Should Not Watch HGTV’s ‘House Hunters’
- Should I Invest in Real Estate Investment Trusts?
- Is It Time to Buy Real Estate?
- 8 Ways to Invest in Real Estate for Retirement
- How to Invest in Real Estate for as Little as $500
- Money Crashers: 10 Ways to Invest in Real Estate and Create Multiple Streams of Income
- Nerdwallet: How to Invest in Real Estate: 5 Ways to Get Started
- Investopedia: 5 Simple Ways to Invest in Real Estate
- Motley Fool: 9 of the Best Ways to Invest in Real Estate
- Passive Income M.D.: 16 Different Ways to Invest in Real Estate
- Forbes: 9 Ways To Invest In Real Estate Without Buying Property
- Business Insider: How to invest in real estate — 6 ways that offer a chance to make money and build long-term wealth
- Money Under 30: How To Invest In Real Estate – The Smart Way To Get Started
- Kiplinger: The 13 Best REITs to Own in 2021
- U.S. News & World Report: 9 Best REITs to Buy for a Recession
- Investopedia: Top REITs for June 2021
- Money Talks News’ savings account search tool
- Subscribe to the Money Talks News newsletter
- Take our course The Only Retirement Guide You’ll Ever Need
- Take our course Money Made Simple
- Miranda Marquit’s website
I founded Money Talks News in 1991. I’m a CPA, and I have also earned licenses in stocks, commodities, options principal, mutual funds, life insurance, securities supervisor and real estate.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.