Whether you spell it doughnut or donut — we’re going to go with doughnut — it’s time to celebrate.
The most “holey” of holidays — National Doughnut Day this year is June 3, and that means free doughnuts from many pastry retailers across the United States.
Now celebrated on the first Friday in June, National Doughnut Day was first observed in 1938, but its origins go back to World War I, when hundreds of Salvation Army officers cooked doughnuts for American soldiers serving in Europe.
The tradition lives on. Here’s where you can score a free doughnut:
- Krispy Kreme: The popular doughnut shop is serving up one free doughnut to every customer who walks through their doors on Friday. You can select any flavor you want, and no purchase is necessary.
- Dunkin’ Donuts: Purchase a drink on Friday at Dunkin’ Donuts, and you can score a free doughnut of your choice.
- Randy’s Donuts: This famous Los Angeles doughnut shop is serving up free doughnut holes from 6 a.m. to noon on June 3.
- Duck Donuts: Click here to claim Duck Donuts’ free doughnut offer for June 3. The chain’s outlets are concentrated on the East Coast.
- Entenmann’s: Entenmann’s plans to give away 150,000 free doughnuts on National Doughnut Day. You can also click here to enter your information for a chance to win free doughnuts for a year from Entenmann’s. Ten winners will be selected.
- LaMar’s Donuts: Print this “golden ticket” or show it at LaMar’s to get a free doughnut on Friday. You can also get a free 16-ounce LaMar’s cup with any purchase.
- Arooga’s Grille House & Sports Bar: Putting a unique spin on the traditional doughnut day celebration, the Pennsylvania-based Arooga’s restaurant chain is offering a buy one, get one free offer (an $11.99 value) on its Wagyu Doughnut Burger, which is basically a burger inside of a glazed doughnut split and toasted as a bun. Wow.
- Shipley Do-Nuts: Participating Shipley Do-Nuts restaurants are giving away free doughnuts from 5 a.m. to noon on June 3.
Check your local doughnut shop for special promotions on June 3.
I love glazed or chocolate covered old-fashioned doughnuts. What’s your favorite? Sound off below or on our Facebook page.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.