Photo by Dragon Images / Shutterstock.com
What’s better than a host of holiday-weekend sales? Getting as much as 40 percent cash back on top of your discounted purchases.
That’s what the cash-back portal Ebates.com is offering during this Labor Day weekend. Around three dozen retailers are participating in this promotion. They include:
- Amazon: Up to 7 percent cash back
- AT&T TV and internet: Up to $150
- Backcountry.com: 8 percent
- Bobbi Brown Cosmetics: 8 percent
- Expedia: Up to 12 percent
- Finish Line: 8 percent
- GoDaddy: 14 percent
- Home Decorators Collection: 7 percent
- Magazines.com: 40 percent
- Omaha Steaks: 7 percent
- OnlineShoes.com: 10 percent
- Priceline.com: Up to 12 percent
- Saks Off Fifth: 8 percent
- T-Mobile: Up to $75
You’ll also earn cash back — during this promotion and in the future — on purchases from any of more than 2,000 retailers that partner with Ebates.
My latest check from Ebates was for $22.11 — or as I explained to my skeptical spouse while I waved the check around, Ebates paid me $22.11 to go shopping last quarter.
There is no “catch” here. Ebates receives a commission from retailers for referring online shoppers to those retailers’ websites. Then Ebates shares that commission with shoppers to encourage them to continue using Ebates.
It’s free to sign up for an Ebates account, and it’s free to use the portal.
Once you’re signed up, all you have to do to earn cash back is:
- Every time you buy something online, start by visiting Ebates’ website and signing in.
- In the search bar at the top of Ebates’ site, enter the name of the retailer where you want to shop.
- Click on Ebates’ orange “Shop Now” button for that retailer. This will redirect you to the retailer’s website, where you can then shop as usual — while earning cash back on most anything you buy there.
It also helps to install the Ebates Cash Back Button, a web browser extension. Every time you visit the website of a retailer that is offering cash back, the extension will alert you to the offer so you don’t miss out. It’s available for Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
You will receive your cash back from Ebates quarterly, as long as you’ve accumulated at least $5.01 in cash back.
Ebates is among the oldest and best known cash-back portals, but it’s not the only one. For example, Swagbucks.com — a site that helps you earn various types of financial rewards for activities you already do online — also has a cash-back portal. While Swagbucks is not offering a special cash-back promotion this weekend like Ebates, you might want to check it out, as it sometimes offers higher cash-back percentages from certain retailers than Ebates.
What holiday-weekend promotions will you take advantage of? Let us know below or on Facebook.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.