What vehicles would experts recommend to car shoppers?
Multiple models from Honda and Toyota dominate the inaugural “Most Wanted” awards announced this week by car research firm Edmunds, which describes the winners as “the vehicles Edmunds would most recommend to car shoppers.”
Out of 16 winners, five models were from the Honda or Acura brands, both owned by Honda Motor Co. Four models were from the Toyota or Lexus brands, both owned by Toyota Motor Corp.
No other car brand earned more than one award.
The “Most Wanted” awards are one of few in the car industry that factor in both shopper consideration and expert opinions, according to Edmunds.
Shopper consideration was based on:
- Edmunds site activity
- The highest sales
- The lowest average number of days vehicles were in dealer inventory before being sold
The expert opinions were those of the Edmunds editorial team.
In other words, as Jessica Caldwell, Edmunds executive director of industry analysis, summarizes:
“The Edmunds Most Wanted designation gives car shoppers assurance that both other buyers and Edmunds’ experts believe these vehicles are a smart choice.”
One winner was chosen for each of 16 segments for the 2017 Most Wanted awards:
- Compact car: Honda Civic
- Midsize car: Honda Accord
- Large car: Toyota Avalon
- Compact SUV: Honda CR-V
- Midsize SUV: Honda Pilot
- Midsize truck: Chevrolet Colorado
- Large truck: Ford F-150
- Minivan: Toyota Sienna
- Sports car: Dodge Challenger
- Luxury compact car: Audi A4
- Luxury midsize car: Lexus ES 350
- Luxury large car: Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Luxury compact SUV: Lexus RX 350
- Luxury midsize SUV: Acura MDX
- Luxury large SUV: Cadillac Escalade
- Luxury sports car: Porsche 911
If you’re considering a new car, first check out:
- “Car Loans: Are You Paying Too Much?“
- Edmunds’ “Incentives and Rebates” page
- Edmunds’ “New Cars” page
What do you make of the vehicles deemed “Most Wanted”? Would you add any models to the list? Share your thoughts below or on our Facebook page.