You know what’s better than a doughnut? A free doughnut!
Many doughnut retailers across the country will be handing out the tasty, time-honored confections for free on Friday, June 5, in honor of National Doughnut Day.
National Doughnut Day is celebrated on the first Friday in June. It was first observed in 1938, but its origins go back to World War I, when hundreds of Salvation Army officers cooked and served doughnuts to American soldiers in an effort to comfort the troops serving in Europe.
You can score a free doughnut at these stores Friday, June 5:
- Dunkin’ Donuts: If you purchase a beverage at Dunkin’ Donuts on National Doughnut Day, you can pick out a free doughnut of your choice, while supplies last.
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts: You can pick out one doughnut (any variety) at Krispy Kreme for free, no purchase necessary.
- Winn-Dixie: Pick up a free powdered doughnut hole at the in-store bakery.
- Entenmann’s: While one lucky Entenmann’s customer could win free doughnuts for a year, for every person who enters the doughnut sweepstakes, Entenmann’s is donating $1 to The Salvation Army. It’s also giving away 40,000 free doughnuts and coffee (while supplies last) at New York’s Madison Square Park starting at 7 a.m.
- LaMar’s Donuts: The doughnut shop is giving away “any donut with a hole, no purchase necessary.”
- Tim Hortons: Simply download this coupon and buy a hot beverage at Tim Hortons, and you can get a free chocolate hazelnut doughnut filled with Nutella.
Also, don’t forget to check out your local doughnut shop for special promotions Friday.
What’s your favorite doughnut? Also, do you spell it donut or doughnut? Share your comments below.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.