In this episode of the Money Talks News podcast, we’re talking about the Midas metal.
Gold has long been known as a store of value and a hedge against both inflation and global uncertainty. This is why it’s also a part of many well-diversified savings strategies, including retirement accounts.
Yes, you can actually hold gold in your IRA — as long as you follow the rules. But should you own gold at all? And if so, is it appropriate for retirement account investing? Let’s find out.
Host Stacy Johnson is joined by financial journalist Miranda Marquit. Listening in and sometimes contributing is producer Aaron Freeman. This week, we have a special guest, Devlyn Steele from Augusta Precious Metals, here to talk about everything gold-related, including how to set up a Gold IRA.See What Augusta Can Do for You
Before we start, you need to know a couple of things. First thing, we have an advertising relationship with Augusta Precious Metals. However, we’d never let that impact our opinions. Second, remember this isn’t financial advice. So make sure to do your own research and consult your own experts before acting on anything you learn here.
You can watch this episode below, or if you’d prefer to listen, you can do that with the player at the top of this article or download the episode wherever you get your podcasts:
Portfolio strategy and asset allocation
We talk about the importance of diversification as you put together a portfolio strategy that includes an asset allocation approach that works for you. This can include gold and other precious metals, as well as other alternative investments. Don’t forget to check out these great resources surrounding building a better investment portfolio.
- Your Guide to Alternative Investments
- How to Invest When Both Stocks and Bonds Are Falling
- Are Alternative Investments a Good Idea for Your Retirement?
- Is a Bond Ladder Strategy Right for Your Retirement?
- Sequence of Returns Risk and How to Protect Your Retirement From It
- 7 Things You Should Know Before Investing in I Bonds
- 3 Reasons You Need to Own Gold Today
- Should You Buy Bitcoin or Gold?
- Everything You Want to Know About Crypto But Were Afraid to Ask
- Retirement, Real Estate and I Bonds: We Answer Your Questions
What you need to know about tax-advantaged retirement accounts
Don’t forget to stick around to find out exactly how you can hold gold in an IRA. We talk about the importance of investment-grade precious metals, finding the right custodian, and how to watch out for some of the pitfalls.
In the meantime, make sure you catch up with our great resources about tax-advantaged accounts and how you can use them to make the most of your retirement.
- 15 Mistakes People Make With Roth IRAs
- How a Roth IRA Conversion Turns a Stock Market Plunge Into a Plus
- How to Buy Real Estate With Your IRA
- 8 Ways to Maximize Your Traditional or Roth IRA
- Got an IRA? Here’s How to Use the Bear Market to Your Advantage
- When Can You Withdraw From Your 401(k) or IRA Penalty-Free?
- Here’s How to Close the Gender Gap in 401(k) Plans
- Have a 401(k)? Here’s a Secret Retirement Plan You Probably Don’t Know About
- 35% of Workers with a 401(k) Have Made This Questionable Move
- 7 Secrets You Should Learn From 401(k) Millionaires
- 4 Ways to Save for Retirement Without a 401(k)
- 6 Secret Sources of Income for Early Retirees
- 5 Fast Ways to Turbocharge Your Retirement Savings
- Health Savings Accounts and Why They Are Great for Retirement
Meet this week’s guest, Devlyn Steele
During a three-decade financial services and economics career, Devlyn Steele has processed financial assets worth more than $2 billion. As Augusta’s director of education, Mr. Steele now leads an education team dedicated to enlightening fiscally conservative Americans about savings diversification through alternative assets. He accurately predicted the 2008 financial crisis and the subsequent surge in gold and silver prices.
Don’t listen to podcasts?
A podcast is basically a radio show you can listen to anywhere and anytime, either by downloading it to your smartphone or by listening online. They’re awesome for learning stuff and being entertained when you’re in the car, doing chores, jogging or riding your bicycle.
If you haven’t listened to our podcast yet, give it a try, then subscribe. You’ll be glad you did!
About the hosts
Stacy Johnson founded Money Talks News in 1991. He’s a CPA, and he has also earned licenses in stocks, commodities, options principal, mutual funds, life insurance, securities supervisor and real estate.
Miranda Marquit, MBA, is a financial expert, writer and speaker. She’s been covering personal finance and investing topics for almost 20 years. When not writing and podcasting, she enjoys travel, reading and the outdoors.