How does up to 18 percent cash back on your online purchases sound?
That’s what Ebates.com is offering this week, Triple Cash Back Week, one of Ebates’ biggest promotions of the year. It started Tuesday.
Just to name a few, retailers participating in this promotion include:
- Barnes & Noble: 6 percent cash back
- Clarks (men’s, women’s and children’s footwear): 12 percent
- Coach: 10 percent
- eBags: 18 percent
- e.l.f. Cosmetics: 10.5 percent
- Finish Line (athletic/sports apparel and accessories): 9 percent
- General Nutrition Centers (GNC): 15 percent
- Jane.com (women’s and children’s clothing; home decor): 10 percent
- Macy’s: 9 percent
- Mixbook (customizable photo products like cards, calendars and wall canvases): 15 percent
To view a complete list of participating retailers, visit Ebates’ homepage and click on “See All Stores,” which is written in green next to where it says “One Week Only! Triple Cash Back.”
How to maximize your cash back
Even if you already have an Ebates account, you should check out other cash-back portals. Some portals offer more cash back than others at a given retailer.
I started using two cash-back portals this year. As a result, I expect to score even more cash back in 2017 than the $101.56 I earned last year, when I was only using one portal.
Other cash-back portals that — like Ebates — are free include:
To learn more about how specific cash-back portals differ, check out my side-by-side comparison in “4 Websites That Pay You to Go Shopping.”
Another way to maximize how much cash back you rack up is to pay for purchases with a rewards credit card, such as a cash-back credit card. You can do this even when shopping through a cash-back portal, thereby increasing the total amount of cash back you earn on purchases.
Also, note that many of the retailers listed above are currently running promotions that can further boost your savings. So check out the websites of any retailers you’re interested in. For example:
- Barnes & Noble is offering a $15 reward card for every $100 you spend — even on textbooks — until 2:59 a.m. ET on Aug. 28.
- GNC is offering buy-one-get-one-half-off deals on dozens of products during its Summer Savings Event.
- Mixbook is offering up to 50 percent off everything until 11:59 p.m. PT on Wednesday, Aug. 23.
How cash-back portals work
When you shop through a cash-back portal’s website, you earn cash rebates, aka “cash back.”
Once you’re on a cash-back portal’s website, simply select the retailer where you want to shop. From there, you will be redirected to the retailer’s website. Alternatively, some portals offer a browser extension, a mobile app or both.
Cash-back portals receive a commission from retailers for referring online shoppers to those retailers’ websites. Then, a portal shares that commission with shoppers. So your cash back is your share of that commission.
What’s your favorite way to save money? Let us know below or on our Facebook page.