Money Talks News has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Money Talks News and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
While the 2020 holiday season won’t be quite the same as usual — fewer Americans are likely to travel, both for the season and in the near future — most Americans will still be doing some hefty shopping.
That’s a prime opportunity to rack up big credit card rewards in the course of your normal spending. It’s time to ask: Are you using the most rewarding card that you could?
Here is everything you need to know about our favorite credit cards available during the holiday season.
Why we like it: We’ve called this “The Best Cash-Back Credit Card for Everyday Use” since it earns 1% cash back on every purchase, then earns another 1% cash back when you pay for those purchases. If you want the peace of mind that you’re earning good cash-back rewards on everything, with no gimmicks or expiration dates, this is your card.
What to know:
- Get a total of 2% cash back on every purchase
- No limits or caps on cash back
- No confusing categories; everything earns cash back
- No annual fee
Note: This card offers 18 months of 0% introductory APR on balance transfers.
Why we like it: The Chase Freedom Flex card offers strong cash-back rewards in several categories and turbo-charges your rewards in seasonal bonus categories. You get a 0% introductory APR offer on purchases for 15 months, plus earn a $200 bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first three months with the card. It’s a solid card on its own, but also pairs well with the rewards of Chase Freedom Unlimited.
What to know:
- 5% cash back on travel-related purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards, including hotels, flights, car rentals and cruises.
- 5% cash back on purchases in seasonal bonus categories, up to $1,500 each quarter.
- 5% cash back on Lyft rides (through March 2022).
- 3% cash back on dining at restaurants (including takeout and delivery).
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases.
- 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- No annual fee.
Why we like it: The Blue Cash Everyday card lives up to its name as a great value all the time — but especially for new cardholders. You can earn $100 back by making $2,000 in purchases in the first six months. You can also earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases in the first six months for up to $150 back.
What to know:
- 3% cash back on up to $6,000 in purchases at U.S. supermarkets per year, and 1% cash back after that amount.
- 2% cash back on purchases at select U.S. department stores.
- 2% cash back on purchases at U.S. gas stations.
- 1% cash back on other purchases.
- 0% introductory APR on purchases for 15 months. (See rates and fees)
- No annual fee. (See rates and fees)
Note: Cash back is redeemed as statement credits.
Whatever you need in a credit card — whether it’s reward points, cash back or a low interest rate — you can find it with our credit card search tool. Click here to search for the plastic that best fits your needs.
See rates and fees for Blue Cash Everyday from American Express.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.