The countdown to the tax deadline has begun: This year, Tax Day is April 18.
Millions of people take a DIY approach to taxes, and we can help with that. Money Talks News has a lot of articles on tax topics. If you’re having trouble with tax debt, we can also point you toward expert help in our Solutions Center.
However, if you need help preparing state and federal tax forms for the 2022 tax year, there is little time to delay.
Many Americans will pay someone to help them prepare and file a return. That may be a worthwhile expense for some. But “free” is the best price for most of us, many of whom may not realize that’s an option.
Before you go out and throw down possibly hundreds of dollars, check out these gratis alternatives. Many national programs charge nothing to help taxpayers prepare and file taxes.
See whether your tax situation and income meet qualifications for the following free programs.
1. Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
The free IRS-sponsored program VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) uses trained volunteers to help taxpayers complete basic state and federal tax returns.
Who’s eligible: Generally, taxpayers earning $60,000 a year or less, those with disabilities and people with limited English-language abilities, according to the IRS.
- Use this online locator tool to learn when and where to find free VITA tax preparation help and whether you’ll need an appointment.
- The IRS website has a list of what to bring to your appointment.
2. Tax Counseling for the Elderly
IRS-certified volunteers provide free tax preparation to older taxpayers through the TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) program. Many volunteers are retired people associated with nonprofit organizations that receive grants from the IRS.
Who’s eligible: The IRS says the program “offers free tax help, particularly for those who are 60 years of age and older,” with a focus on questions regarding pensions and other retirement-related issues.
- Use the IRS online locator tool to learn when and where to find free TCE tax preparation help and whether you’ll need an appointment.
- The IRS website also provides a list of what to bring with you to the appointment.
3. AARP Foundation’s Tax-Aide Service
This is the best discount AARP has to offer: 100% off your tax filing. The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program is staffed by IRS-certified volunteers and available across the U.S. Help is available in person or online, either to prepare your return or coach you through the process.
Who’s eligible: All taxpayers 50 or older — even those without AARP membership.
- Use the Site Locator tool to find the nearest Tax-Aide site and book an appointment.
- AARP also has a list of what documents you need to get its free help.
MyFreeTaxes.com is a United Way program that offers free tax help using Tax Slayer software. Help is free with both state and federal tax forms. Support is available in English and Spanish.
Who’s eligible: Individuals who earned less than $60,000 in 2022 may have their taxes prepared for them, while anyone else is eligible to use the free Tax Slayer software provided through this program.
Resources: The MyFreeTaxes FAQ page answers many common questions about using the software.
5. IRS Free File
Free File is a partnership between the IRS and makers of commercial tax-preparation software participating in the IRS Free File program. Depending on your level of income, eligible taxpayers get free use of one of the following:
- Free File: secure, free brand-name tax preparation software that may include help with state returns
- Free File fillable forms: state tax preparation not included.
Who’s eligible: If your income is at or below a specific level — for the 2022 tax year, an adjusted gross income of $73,000 — you qualify to use the Free File tax preparation software.
If your income is above that mark, you are limited to using the free, fillable, electronic versions of paper tax forms. These forms will do your tax math for you, but you only receive basic guidance.
Resources: The IRS offers an infographic showing how Free File works.
6. Tax preparation companies’ free services
Several commercial tax-preparation companies offer free, basic online versions of their software. These include TurboTax, TaxAct Free, TaxSlayer Simply Free and H&R Block Free Online.
The major benefit with any free tax service is in the money you save. However, these services have limitations, which vary by product:
- Some don’t offer free filing of state returns.
- Free products are for simple tax situations. Before using a free product, check the company’s website to compare the free product with the costs and features of the company’s paid products.
- You might run into hidden fees. For example, you might be charged a convenience fee if you pay your tax bill using a credit card.
- You might be charged to access a prior year’s return, so make sure to save a copy for your records.
More free IRS resources
You can get other kinds of free help from the IRS. For example, you can make an appointment to visit a local taxpayer assistance office for an in-person review of tax documents. Use this list to find one near you.
The IRS website also offers information on:
Add a Comment
Our Policy: We welcome relevant and respectful comments in order to foster healthy and informative discussions. All other comments may be removed. Comments with links are automatically held for moderation.