Editor's Note: This story originally appeared on Living on the Cheap.
Although May (for Military Appreciation Month) and November (for Veterans Day) are full of advertising about military discounts and freebies, lots of such deals are available 365 days a year.
As a veteran, my best advice when it comes to navigating military discounts is always to ask. While some businesses tout military and veteran discounts as a way to attract customers, the lack of a posted discount doesn’t mean there isn’t one.
Mom-and-pop stores and locally owned businesses might offer an unadvertised military discount or be willing to apply a discount on the spot, if asked. If you don’t ask, you don’t receive.
It’s also getting easier to use a military discount online. More merchants are participating in ID.me or similar services that verify eligibility electronically.
Most of the listed discounts apply to active duty, retirees, veterans and their family members, but be sure to read the eligibility criteria carefully to make sure the discount applies to your service category and status.
All offers and discounts are subject to change without notice and may vary based on location. Stores may be individually owned and opt out of discount programs. From discounts on everything from travel to engagement rings, here’s a list of businesses that offer year-round discounts for vets and military members.
Activewear and more
- All American Clothing – Current and former U.S. military and their spouses and dependents can save up to 15%; verification required.
- All Seasons Uniforms – 10% discount for current servicemembers or veterans (and their spouses and/or or dependent children) who were honorably discharged from the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves or National Guard units.
- Lululemon – Active military, reservists, retirees and veterans receive 15% off at Lululemon. Online verification required. The spouses and dependents of active personnel from the same household are also eligible but must verify separately.
- Red Kap – As a thank you for their service, active, veteran, retired, and reservist U.S. military members can get a 20% discount on all workwear.
- The North Face – The North Face offers a 10% discount. Must verify online and discount can be used once every 30 days.
- Boden – Military members get 25% off full-price items across womenswear and childrenswear. Free delivery over $49. Free returns.
- Bonobos – Veterans always get 20% off better-fitting menswear.
- Gloves.com – Use the code GLOVESTRAV15 to get a 15% discount on the entire order.
- JCPenney – JCPenney stores nationwide will give military folks a free 8-by-10 family portrait and waive sitting fees, in addition to other discounts. Just show your ID when you arrive for your appointment. Details are online.
- J.Crew and J.Crew Factory – Health care workers, first responders and military personnel receive an extra 15% off their entire purchase in stores and online at J.Crew and J.Crew Factory.
- Levi Strauss & Co. – Military service members get a 15% discount on all Levi’s apparel.
- L.L.Bean – Past and current service members get 10% off their purchases at L.L.Bean.
- Mack Weldon – Active duty, veterans, and military families can enjoy a 25% off discount on the best underwear they’ll ever wear (and more).
- Madewell – Military personnel can enjoy 15% off their entire purchase at clothing retailer Madewell.
- Steve Madden – Military members can enjoy 25% off their entire purchase.
- Unique Vintage – Unique Vintage offers a 10% military discount. Online verification required.
- Vineyard Vines – Vineyard Vines offers a 15% discount on purchases made in-store and online.
- O’Reilly Auto Parts – O’Reilly Auto Parts offers a 10% discount on in-store purchases, with some exceptions.
Beauty, health and wellness
- MAC Cosmetics – MAC Cosmetics is rewarding military personnel with 15% off all orders.
- Massage Envy – Massage Envy offers discounts for active military. Inquire at your local Massage Envy for details.
- Tarte Cosmetics – The beauty retailer offers a big 40% discount for members of the armed forces. Active Duty, Military Veterans/Retirees, Reservists, National Guard, and military family members are eligible for this offer.
- Too Faced – Military members get 20% off beauty products when they verify with SheerID.
- True REST Float Spas – The chain of flotation therapy spas offers a free one-hour session to anyone on active duty or any veteran on the 11th day of every month. Flotation therapy is used to ease symptoms of depression, chronic pain and PTSD, among others.
- WellBefore – The health care supply company offers a 10% discount for military personnel and veterans.
- JoAnn Fabric – JoAnn Fabric offers a 15% military discount. Enrollment required.
- Michael’s – Michael’s offers 15% off both in-store and online. Verify online and link your military discount to the Michael’s Rewards program and save even more.
- Carnival Cruise Line – Active and retired military enjoy reduced rates on cruises with Carnival. Find more details here.
- Cheap Caribbean – Get $150 off your next beach vacation when you sign up for the Waves4Warriors hero club.
- Disney Cruise Line – Disney Cruise Line offers military rates (savings of up to 35%) on select sailings.
- Holland America Line – In appreciation of military member’s loyal and selfless service, Holland America Line is offering active, retired, and veteran military personnel a choice from more than 500 itineraries and an onboard credit of $100 per stateroom when they book a new cruise.
- Princess Cruises – Princess offers up to $250 onboard spending money for any cruise, any time of year to thank military and veterans for their service.
- Disneyland (California) – For active and retired military and their family members choosing three- and four-day ticket options, Disneyland offers promotional ticket pricing for visitors to both Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park.
- Dollywood – Dollywood offers discounted tickets to both Dollywood and Dollywood Splash Country (in summer) as well as discounts on season passes. Verify eligibility and purchase online.
- Great Wolf Lodge – Great Wolf Lodge offers up to 30% off vacations.
- Hard Rock Atlantic City – Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City offers several discounts with its Wild Card Reward’s Veterans Program. The program is open to all active duty military, all veterans, members of the Army and Air National Guard, Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, and all active military and veteran spouses. See the special savings here. Other Hard Rock locations may have similar programs.
- Jellystone Parks – Jellystone Parks campgrounds offer discounts for military and veterans. Discounts vary by location. There are also special events and Heroes Weekends for military and first responders.
- Kings Island – The Kings Island amusement park in Ohio offers discounted admission to active and retired members. Online verification required.
- SeaWorld – SeaWorld locations offer discounted admission through their Waves of Honor Program. Additional discounts/free tickets may be available for active-duty members.
- Vail Resorts – Vail Resorts offers the Epic Military Pass, which provides unlimited, unrestricted access to 40 resorts – including Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Park City, and Whistler Blackcomb – for $172 for active and retired military and their dependents. Veterans and their dependents can purchase an Epic Military Pass for $552. Prices are scheduled to increase Nov. 19, 2023.
- Walt Disney World (Florida) – For active and retired military and their family members choosing four- and five-day ticket options, Walt Disney World offers discounted Military Salute Tickets. Disney World also offers room discounts and discounted Memory Maker (digital photo downloads).
- Codecademy – Learn to code and build career-ready tech skills with Codecademy Pro and save 50% on an annual plan.
- Not Consumed – This site for Christian parenting and homeschool resources gives a discount to active and retired military personnel.
- AMC – AMC Theaters offers special military pricing for those who present valid military ID at the box office.
- Cinemark – Cinemark offers discounted movie tickets with Department of Defense-issued ID. Discounts and restrictions vary by location. We recommend contacting the theater for more info.
- Hulu – Hulu offers a military discount through Exchange. Get Hulu (with ads) for 25% off each month when you sign up for a monthly subscription. This offer is exclusively for Exchange-authorized shoppers and is available for new or eligible existing Hulu-billed subscribers only. This offer is limited to Hulu (with ads) in the United States (including its territories).
- Magazines.com – Military members can enjoy 20% off their next order at Magazines.com.
- Paramount+ – Verified military service members get 25% off any plan.
- TIDAL – The music streaming service offers a 40% monthly subscription discount to all who are serving or have served in the U.S. military. Each new sign up will receive a 30-day free trial after which the discounted rate will apply.
- Eyemart Express – Eyemart Express offers a 20% discount.
- Sunglass Hut – Sunglass Hut offers a 15% discount. USA locations only.
- Carter’s/Oshkosh B’Gosh – Free shipping on all orders over $35 to APO/FPO addresses. Other restrictions apply.
- Maxi-Cosi – Military members can enjoy 25% off their entire purchase including sale items at Maxi-Cosi, a seller of car seats, strollers and other items.
- Safety 1st – Military members can enjoy 25% off their entire purchase including sale items at Safety 1st.
- Willow Innovations – Members of the military get $50 off Willow 3.0 – the hands-free, leak-free, app-connected breast pump that keeps up.
- Morningstar Investor – Active military members and veterans can save 30% on their first year of Morningstar Investor to get investment insights they can act on with independent research and professional-grade portfolio management tools.
- Turbo Tax – Enlisted military members, both active and reserve, receive free federal income tax filing when a military W-2 is submitted to Turbo Tax.
- Hickory Farms – Hickory Farms offers free shipping to all gift baskets shipped to APO/FPO addresses.
- IHOP – 20% discount at participating locations.
- Outback Steakhouse – Outback Steakhouse offers a 10% discount. Discount does not apply to online orders.
- Shoney’s – Shoney’s offers a 15% military discount at all company-owned and participating franchise locations.
Footwear and more
- Adidas – Adidas offers 30% off online and 20% off at outlet stores. Registration required.
- ASICS – The shoe company offers a military discount of 30% off all full-priced products in their online store.
- Converse – Converse.com offers a 10% discount via an online verification process.
- Crocs – Crocs is proud to offer 25% off all full-priced styles to military members. Exclusions apply.
- Foot Locker – Active military, retirees, and veterans receive a 10% discount off most online and in-store purchases at Foot Locker. This discount also applies at Lady Foot Locker.
- Ugg – Military members get 10% off all orders, including sale items.
Furniture and mattresses
- Lovesac – Lovesac furniture will offer a 5% discount on merchandise purchased by active or retired U.S. service members and their registered dependents.
- Mattress Firm – Active, veteran, reservist U.S. military, and their family members can get an extra 10%-20% off their mattress and bedding purchase.
- Purple – Verify your eligibility and receive a 10%-off discount code on an order of mattresses and bedding from Purple. Restrictions apply.
- Sleep Number – Active, veteran, retired and reservist personnel get a discount on all Sleep Number 360 smart bed and bases.
- Tuft and Needle – Tuft and Needle offers a 15% discount on mattresses.
Gifts and jewelry
- 1-800-FLOWERS – 1-800-FLOWERS offers up to 30% off.
- Helzberg Diamonds – Helzberg Diamonds offers a 10% discount on online and in-store purchases.
- The Bro Basket – The gift basket company designed for men offers a 12% military discount. Use code MILITARY at checkout.
- Tiffany & Co. – Tiffany offers a 10% discount on engagement rings and wedding bands. Engaged partners, domestic partners, wives and husbands are eligible for the accommodation even if their U.S. military partner is stationed overseas and not able to come into the store. However, it may not be extended to anyone else, including family members. U.S. stores only.
- GAF – Military members get a $250 rebate when installing a qualifying GAF roofing system and purchasing an enhanced warranty.
- Lowe’s – Lowe’s offers a 10% discount. Registration is required. Can’t be combined with other offers or discounts and exclusions apply.
- Oz Moving and Storage – Military and veterans receive a 10% discount on all moving and storage services for local moves and a 5% discount on all services for long distance moves.
- Sherwin Williams – Sherwin Williams offers a 15% discount on paints, stains, and painting supplies.
- The Home Depot – Home Depot offers a 10% discount, up to $400 annually. There’s an online verification process that can also be accessed through the Home Depot app. Registration required and discount caps out at $400 per year.
- Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Maytag – As a thank you, members of the military community get 15% off most products.
- A Pup Above – The fresh dog food company offers an extra 20% off for military personnel and veterans. You need to email them to get a code.
- Dog iD – Get half off an ID for your canine or feline best buddy. Offer is good for active duty, retirees, veterans and military families as well as active-duty first responders.
- AT&T – Military, veterans, and their families get a 25% AT&T Military Appreciation Discount on unlimited plans.
- T-Mobile – T-Mobile is committed to serving those who serve by offering military and veterans 40% off family lines.
- UScellular: The phone-service provider offers military and veterans a 15% discount on its plans with eligibility.
- Verizon – The company offers $10 to $25 off on its unlimited data plans to all branches of the active military, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, Gold Star families and cadets. Phone accessories ordered through Verizon online or purchased at its retail stores are eligible for a 10% to 25% discount, too. And Verizon will suspend service during a deployment, resuming it when the service member returns home.
- Bass Pro Shops – Bass Pro Shops offers 10% discount both online and in stores. Registration required.
- BJ’s Wholesale – All military personnel get a membership for just $25 instead of $55.
- Big Lots – Big Lots offers a 10% discount both online and in store.
- Kohl’s – Kohl’s offers a 15% off coupon for military members on Mondays. This offer can’t be combined with any other discounts, including Kohl’s Cash.
- Sam’s Club – Sam’s Club offers active, retiree, and veteran members a special membership offer.
- Vera Bradley – Vera Bradley offers a 15% discount on purchases made on verabradley.com.
- Yankee Candle – Yankee Candle offers a 10% discount on purchases made in-store, online, and in outlet stores.
- Yeti – Yeti offers discounted products via ID.me. Members must register and be logged in to their ID.me wallet to view offers.
Sports and fitness
- Bowflex – Bowflex offers a military discount to active and retired members. Call 1-800-618-8853 to inquire about available discounts.
- Burton Snowboards – The outdoor gear store offers up to a 20% discount to the military.
- Cabela’s – Cabela’s offers a 10% discount both online and in stores. Registration required.
- GolfPass – GolfPass salutes military members and veterans with 20% off a full year of golf benefits, including $120 in tee time credits, waived booking fees, access to Peacock, curated instruction videos, and more.
- Ikon Pass – Active duty and retired military and their adult dependents can receive discounted pricing on all Adult and Young Adult Ikon Pass products. The Ikon Pass provides discounted access for mountain resort activities like skiing and snowboarding.
- Peloton – Military members can get the Peloton App for $9.99/month.
- Pvolve – Veterans looking to get started with Pvolve can get 20% off site-wide, including best-selling bundles, for access to the low-impact, science-led, fitness method.
- Sports Gear Swag – 15% off for active-duty service members, spouses, and dependents; reservists; military retirees; and veterans.
- Wilson Sporting Goods – Wilson gives 15% off all eligible merchandise to all active, reserve and retired military and their families.
- Apple – Apple offers a 10% discount for military members. Online verification required. Immediate family members who reside in the same household are also eligible.
- Dell – Military members can obtain a 10% off coupon by emailing [email protected] from a dot mil email address.
- LinkedIn – LinkedIn, the professional networking and job site, offers a free one-year Premium Career subscription to active, retirees, and veterans. Eligibility verified online.
- Marshall Headphones – Active or former members of the military can get a 15% discount on Marshall speakers and headphones.
- Microsoft – Microsoft offers up to a 10% discount.
- PC Liquidations – Active duty service members, spouses and dependents; reservists; military retirees and veterans can get 10% off refurbished products.
- Wacom – Wacom offers discounts of up to 10% to active duty service members, veterans, military retirees, reservists and members of the National Guard.
- Kreg Tool – In appreciation of our service members, Kreg Tool is offering a military discount of 20% off qualifying full-priced products on KregTool.com.
- Leatherman – Leatherman is proud to offer veterans and active military servicemen and servicewomen 30% off multi-tools.
- Amtrak – Amtrak offers a 10% discount off the lowest ticketed price. Restrictions apply.
- Fly Rides USA – The e-bike company offers a 5% discount on certain models for veterans, active-duty military and reservists. Call 619-399-2792 to get your discount code.
- GMC cars – Need a car? Check on military discounts at local dealers or go online to the GMC site for some hot deals on new cars. Get all the details about offers and eligibility here.
- Greyhound – Greyhound offers a 10% discount off full-price tickets for military members, veterans and their families when tickets are purchased at the station. Get a 10% discount online if you have a Veterans Advantage card.
- Airstream – Airstream Salute allows you to take advantage of a special offer towards the purchase of a new Airstream.
- Alamo Rent a Car – Alamo offers discounted leisure travel rates for military and government employees and may offer enhanced discounts for members traveling on orders.
- Allegiant Air – This budget carrier offers several perks, including free checked baggage and free oversized baggage.
- Avis Car Rental – Up to 35% discount. Registration required.
- Hertz Rent a Car – Hertz offers discounted rates and space-available upgrades.
- United Airlines – Through Veterans Advantage, United offers a 5% discount on flights originating in the United States. Other restrictions apply.
Bottom line on military discounts
Enjoy these great year-round military and veteran discounts but keep in mind, the military discount isn’t guaranteed to always be your best deal.
Sometimes, you’re better served by using a sale price or other discount program, such as Groupon, so always compare.