There’s an old investing joke that goes like this: How do you make a million dollars on Wall Street? Start with two million.
And lately, that’s no joke. As of Friday, the S&P 500 is down about 18% this year, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq composite is down almost 28%. One of the worst starts to a year in decades.
But if the way to make money is to buy low and sell high, maybe this is the time to get in. As investing legend Warren Buffett is fond of saying, be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.
People are scared to death these days, so is it time to start buying? Or should you wait to see if things fall even further?
Let’s see if we can figure that out today.
Remember, even though we sometimes talk about specific investments on this show, don’t take them as recommendations because they’re not. Before investing in anything, do your research, and make your own decisions.
You can watch this episode below, or if you’d prefer to listen, you can do that with the player at the top of this article. Or, you can download the episode wherever you get your podcasts:
Why is the market so choppy?
The stock market has been a bit of a mess lately. Down big one day and up the next. However, on the year, the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 are getting close to bear market territory and the Nasdaq has dipped into bear market territory. We take a look at what all this means.
- Check out Stacy’s look at how Russia and a market crash can impact your finances.
- Don’t forget to listen to our podcast episode from last year on whether we’re in a stock market bubble.
- Read my Forbes article on what a market correction is, and how to get through one.
- Check out CNBC’s article on what makes a bear market.
- Is a recession on the way? Check out our podcast episode diving into what could be next.
What to do during a bear market
Market falling? What do you do next? We take a look at how we’re managing our finances during this time as well as some steps you can take to make sure you come out of this with your finances intact.
- We’ve got the inside scoop on how Warren Buffett survives a bear market.
- With stocks struggling, is now the time to buy? Stacy takes a look at whether you should go for it.
- Before you freak out about the stock market, read our take on how to keep calm.
- Check out our article on how to profit from a recession.
- We have a podcast episode on how to get ready for a market crash or recession. Don’t be caught unprepared!
Don’t listen to podcasts?
A podcast is basically a radio show you can listen to anywhere and anytime, either by downloading it to your smartphone, or by listening online. They’re awesome for learning stuff and being entertained when you’re in the car, doing chores, jogging or riding your bicycle.
If you haven’t listened to our podcast yet, give it a try, then subscribe. You’ll be glad you did!
About the hosts
Stacy Johnson founded Money Talks News in 1991. He’s a CPA, and has also earned licenses in stocks, commodities, options principal, mutual funds, life insurance, securities supervisor and real estate.
Miranda Marquit, MBA, is a financial expert, writer and speaker. She’s been covering personal finance and investing topics for almost 20 years. When not writing and podcasting, she enjoys travel, reading and the outdoors.