Reflecting on stock market performance over the last few years reminds me of an expression from the old days when I was a stockbroker: “Bulls make money, bears make money and pigs get slaughtered.”
The S&P 500 stock index advanced 29% in 2019, 16% in 2020 and about 27% in 2021.
Since stocks average about 10% per year, it’s highly unlikely such returns will continue for long. Sooner or later, unless the world changes fundamentally, markets will regress to the mean. In other words, they’ll balance things out with a crummy year or two.
Will 2022 be the year it begins?
One catalyst for lower stock prices could be rising interest rates. Odds are that the Federal Reserve will begin raising rates as early as March 2022. While rate hikes aren’t necessarily devastating for stock prices, they’re not the best thing for them either, particularly for more speculative, less profitable companies.
So does all this negative news mean you should head for the sidelines in 2022?
That’s what this week’s “Money!” podcast is about. We’re going to talk about where things are likely to go this year with stocks, interest rates and housing prices. And not only are we going to attempt some predictions, we’ll be making some recommendations as well.
Sit back, relax and listen to this week’s “Money!” podcast:
Don’t listen to podcasts?
A podcast is basically a radio show you can listen to anywhere and anytime, either by downloading it to your smartphone, or by listening online. They’re awesome for learning stuff and being entertained when you’re in the car, doing chores, jogging or, if you’re like me, riding your bicycle.
If you haven’t listened to our podcast yet, give it a try, then subscribe. You’ll be glad you did!
Want more information? Check out these resources:
- Forbes: Experts Predict What The Housing Market Will Look Like In 2022
- NBC News: From real estate to inflation, here’s what to expect from the economy in 2022
- Redfin: Redfin Predicts a More Balanced Housing Market in 2022
- Barron’s: Don’t Expect Big Returns From the Stock Market Next Year as Interest Rates Rise
- MarketWatch: Leading economists and analysts on the 4 things to look for in the housing market in 2022
- U.S. News & World Report: Stock Market Trends for 2022
- CNBC: The majority of Fed members forecast three interest rate hikes in 2022 to fight inflation
- Stacy’s stock portfolio
- Subscribe to the Money Talks News newsletter
- Take our course The Only Retirement Guide You'll Ever Need
- Take our course Money Made Simple
- Miranda Marquit’s website