If you’re young — say, 40 or under — retirement is likely more of a hazy concept than something to actually plan for.
For now, it’s no big deal. There are infinite possibilities that could change the outcome. You could get a big raise. Win the lottery. Get an inheritance from a relative you didn’t know you had. Heck, maybe you’ll even die before the big day arrives.
But take it from a guy in his mid-60s: The years are going to rush by, and with every passing year, your options will narrow. In the blink of an eye, you’ll be entering the final chapters of your life. And the quality of those chapters will depend on how much money you’ve saved and how you’ve managed it.
In short, if your goal is to retire rich, there’s a proven path and specific steps to take along the way, starting now — at whatever age you are. That path and those steps are what we’re talking about in this week’s “Money!” podcast.
As usual, my co-host will be financial journalist Miranda Marquit. Listening in and sometimes contributing is producer and novice investor Aaron Freeman. And this week, we have a special guest: Joe Saul-Sehy of the legendary podcast Stacking Benjamins.
Sit back, relax and listen to this week’s “Money!” podcast:
Don’t listen to podcasts?
A podcast is basically a radio show you can listen to anywhere and anytime, either by downloading it to your smartphone, or by listening online. They’re awesome for learning stuff and being entertained when you’re in the car, doing chores, jogging or, if you’re like me, riding your bicycle.
If you haven’t listened to our podcast yet, give it a try, then subscribe. You’ll be glad you did!
Want more information? Check out these resources:
- 10 Guaranteed Ways to Retire Rich
- 7 Mistakes Guaranteed to Ruin Your Retirement
- NewRetirement: Your Countdown to Retirement Checklist: 10 Tips to Be Ready for Blast Off!
- Investopedia: 10 Steps to Retire as a Millionaire
- Fidelity Investments: Get ready for your countdown to retirement
- Investopedia: These five steps will help you toward a safe, secure, and fun retirement
- AARP: 10 Steps to Get You Ready for Retirement
- U.S. News & World Report: 20 Steps to Take When Preparing for Retirement
- The Balance: The Steps You Need to Take Before Retirement
- Stacy’s stock portfolio
- Subscribe to the Money Talks News newsletter
- Take our course The Only Retirement Guide You'll Ever Need
- Take our course Money Made Simple
- Miranda Marquit’s website
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.