There’s a lot to celebrate when you hit 50 or 55. Maybe for the first time, you start thinking seriously about retirement and how you’re going to spend your golden years.
When you finally reach retirement a decade or two down the road, you will have more time on your hands to celebrate birthdays, weddings and every anniversary under the sun. But you won’t necessarily have more cash on hand.
Luckily, your 50s are also the time when you become eligible for many “senior” discounts. And we’re not just talking about lower prices on car rentals. Many major retailers — from fashion stores to florists — offer special savings to shoppers who have reached the prime of their lives.
Check out these retailers that currently offer exclusive discounts. The next time you throw a party, want a new outfit or need to buy a gift, visit these stores first to save big. Just be sure to call ahead first to confirm the offer is still valid.
Join the myWalgreens rewards program and enjoy special rewards and discounts if you’re 55 or older or an AARP member. In-store deals only come around once per month on “Seniors Day,” and special coupons for online shopping are also offered. Visit Walgreens.com for more details and to sign up for the free rewards program.
Kohl’s shoppers who are at least 60 years old are eligible for a special 15% coupon every Wednesday when they shop in-store. You’ll need to ask a sales associate for the discount and show proof of age.
Create a Michaels Rewards account to get 10% off your entire purchase in-store or online, including sale items. The “Senior Discount” is available to shoppers 55 years old and up.
4. Pep Boys
Car repairs are never fun, but they can be cheaper. Pep Boys offers 10% off for customers 55 or older. Simply visit a Pep Boys store and present a valid ID.
The “55+ Tuesday Discount” is a weekly promotion that comes with 10% off purchases made on Tuesdays. Eligible customers must notify a sales associate at checkout and may need to provide a valid ID for proof of age.
AARP member discounts
If you’ve celebrated your 50th birthday, there’s a good chance you’ve received an invitation to join AARP. The member-based group requires an annual fee but comes with a number of exclusive, members-only discounts at some of your favorite stores. Below are the retailers currently offering AARP members special promotions.
Note: You may need to have your AARP card or membership number handy to be eligible for these savings.
- FTD: 25% to 30% off chocolates and sweets, flowers, fruit baskets, gift baskets, gourmet foods and plants
- Landry’s Seafood: 10% off dine-in and to-go orders excluding alcohol
- Target Optical: Extra $10 off a complete pair of eyeglasses or sunglasses; $55 eye exam
- UPS Store: 5% off UPS shipping and 15% off eligible products and services
- Corner Bakery: 10% off dine-in and carry-out orders
- Schwan’s Home Delivery: $20 off your first order of $50 or more
- Silver Cuisine by bistroMD: 25% off and free shipping on your first order of $99 or more, and 10% off and free shipping on all subsequent orders of $99 or more
- Ancestry: 30% off a 1-year subscription
- ADT Home Security: 5% off monthly home security monitoring
- Budget Truck Rental: 10-20% off local truck rentals
- American Home Shield: $36 off any home warranty plan
- Auntie Anne’s: 10% off in-store, in-app and online orders
- Denny’s: 15% off dine-in and pickup orders
- McAlister’s Deli: 10% off in-store, in-app and online orders
- Lifeline Medical Alert Service: 15% off plus free shipping and activation
- invisaWear Safety Devices: 15% off personal safety devices
- GrandPad, Powered by Consumer Cellular: 5% off monthly subscription
- Norton Ultimate Help Desk: 15% off on-demand, remote computer troubleshooting
- Naked Wines: $110 off your first order of $139.99 or more
- Proflowers: 25% to 30% off sitewide
AMAC member discounts
The Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC) is another special-interest group for anyone 50 years old and up. When you become an AMAC member, you can access discounts on office supplies, clothing and gifts.
Retailers that offer discounts to AMAC members include:
- Brooks Brothers: Gain access to the Brooks Brothers Corporate Membership Card for 15% off full-priced items
- Office Depot: 5%-15% off thousands of items, plus member-only pricing on Copy & Print services and free shipping on online orders over $50
- 1-800-Flowers.com: 20% off
- Omaha Steaks: Free shipping on discounted packages, plus an extra 10% off your entire online order
- Readers.com: Three pairs of reading glasses for $33 plus free shipping
- VistaPrint: 20% off custom marketing materials
- Harry & David: 20% off